
At Ari's request:
山手線で今週ずっとやっている英語CMだけど、今日はなんだかかなり気になった。
「This is a smoke free restaurant.」
「Smoke freeって、smokeの煙とfreeの自由で喫煙と考えられるけど、本当は禁煙との意味ですよ!」との風に書いてありました。
見ると、腹が立ちました。「その英語がナイ!!」
そのままなら、文保的にいうと間違っているけど、smokeが動詞で吸うと、freeが自由で思える通りに喫煙との意味です。自由の生活が大事で「Live free or die」とかの間違っているけどよく見える表現みたいです。
で、「禁煙」はどう書けばいいですか?
正しい書き方は「smoke-free restaurant」となります。名詞の前に関係している二つの言葉が形容詞になるためにハイフンで繋がる必要があります。煙と自由ではなく、煙*が*無いとの意味になります。
確かに間違っていても「smoke free restaurant」と書いてあったら間違いなく「禁煙」とのつもりだし、屹度アメリカでその書き方にしている店は何個もあると思うし、先の説明で別にいいじゃないと思えるけど。
折角英語の学校のCMだったら正しい英語を教えてくれないとその学校はどうかと思いますね。
オヤジ、細かい!
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Smoke free
Posted by Jeremy at 12:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh my gosh, totally worth it to see how babelfish.altavista.com completely and utterly fails to translate it into anything approaching the actual meaning.
Sumimassen!
Toire wa, doko desu ka?
Gozaimashta!
The post is a fairly useless rant about an English school's commercial I saw on the train. It had improper hyphenization, and caused my dander to rise like a little kid's helium balloon at the park. I've been feeling a lot of anger recently, maybe I'm not getting enough fish. It was, however, extremely popular among my Japanese readers.
Perhaps if the post was written at a third grade level, the translator could have handled it better . . .. The "translated" version was fairly amusing, though I'm positive the real thing is much better.
DEAR SIRS OR MADAMS I truly IMPLORE you're Forgivenesses. GILEAD BALM 4 CHEEP!! Never NODDING nearly napping neverz again with NODOZ BEST PRICES on teh web!!!1!!I am represent for Ethiop's early prince I PORPOSE to SAVE HIS FUNDS a bank where the WILD TIME BLOWS your account! my life is my foe's DEBT and live thou and thy children of the rest.
Yay! Let's all spam ourselves! With literary references!
Post a Comment