Our communal blog, a hopefully-not-doomed attempt at a fun new way to encourage us all to keep in touch.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Happy April Birthdays!

I know there are at least 3 of you out there. And to the rest -- I don't know when your birthdays are (except you Rick) -- Happy Unbirthday to you!

Andrew pointed out that I haven't posted recently, so here I am, rectifying the situation. What is it about springtime that suddenly my weekends are jam-packed? It happens every spring, yet always seems to catch me by surprise. And when you're busy, time flies by!

Of course, there's no turning down fun stuff or opportunities to enjoy the beautiful weather! Last Saturday, Rick, Penny, and I met up with Andrew in DC. We took a brief tour of the Air and Space Museum to see the National Treasures Exhibit before it closed, met up with another friend for a late lunch, and then took a tour of the White House's South Lawn gardens. Then we got stuck in traffic, finally arriving home much later than planned and completely exhausted.

It was the first time I'd been to the White House. It was definitely strange to see it in person after seeing it so many times on television -- and so close up! The details aren't noticeable on TV. The grounds seemed much larger (except the Rose Garden), and the house much smaller. The view from the President's bedroom window must be amazing! [Of course, that led me to thinking about how weird it would be to get (want!) a job that required you and your family to move into your office (well, the office building, at least). The whole thing is just a huge invasion of privacy from the campaign, to the constant media coverage, right down to the house crawling with people, and Secret Service dogging your every move. I could never do it!] In any case, I hope you're all enjoying the springtime as much as I am!




1 comment:

Andrew said...

It totally rocked seeing you guys. My drive up to DC was great until random traffic outside of DC, but it was worth it. Penny is beautiful but doesn't like my ugly mug and big camera. She's almost walking, to boot!

The White House was a trip. I'll echo Zab's sentiments -- it's a bit surreal, wrapped in this air of 24 hour news fueled deja vu.