Our communal blog, a hopefully-not-doomed attempt at a fun new way to encourage us all to keep in touch.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Do Not Ever Travel With Me

... ever.

I'll leave the good stuff to Jessie, but needless to say, I am the airline version of black cat walking under a latter after breaking a mirror and calling your mother dirty names. Translation: I am bad travel luck.

Now, I have enough screwed up travel stories to fill a small tome. (cue some sarcastic note about my travelogues) But this last trip takes the cake.

+ Our flight from Boston to London was a Flight Attendant's retirement party. Instead of sleeping, I got to listen to a bunch of 50+ FA's bitch about pay, vacation, benefits, and laugh about all the different people they have screwed across the globe.

+ We went through the sparkly new Terminal 5 at Heathrow the same day they lost 15,000 bags. Thankfully, our bags were not lost, but my life nearly was when I had to dissaseemble my entire camera kit (bodies, lenses, film, clothing, flashes, tripod, filters, a whole pile of crap) and have each item swabbed in case I was a terrorist with camera-shapped, optically-perfect plastic explosive.

+ Our return from Milan to London was cancelled. We were rebooked on Swiss, and then told in the airport lounge (which, by virtue of my frequent travelling, I have access to for free), that 'British Airways has washed it's hands of me' and asked to leave the lounge.

+ A man passed out, cold, fell to the floor and caused a minor panic on our Zurich to Boston flight.

+ Swiss Airlines lost one of Jessie's bags

+ We got "extra special" inspection of our bags by the USDA, who delicately searched through all of our stuff and looking for a bottle of meat sauce to confirm, as we said, that it did not contain beef or any other banned items (like monkey)

+ This morning, after they closed the doors on our flight and pushed back from the gate (from Boston to Richmond), a man on our flight had a panic attack and was removed, on a stretcher, from our airplane.

The vacation? An absolute fucking blast. Perfection. But, that's Jessie's thunder, because she put 6 months of hard work into planning it. Me? I'm just gonna bitch about the airlines.

No comments: