40 days from now I'll be sitting in the exact place I am now, although for a different reason. (I'm sitting in the DFW Terminal D Admirals Club, runway side, next to the windows).
My company is sending me on a 19 day around the world trip -- London, Krakow, Prague, Dusseldorf, Bangalore, Pune, Kuala Lumpur, and Tokyo (with other sundry stops in between).
In some respects, it's exciting, because I've never done anything like this. I'll tick off four more countries and 8 new cities around the globe. But, I'm going to be apart from my beautiful wife for 19 days, and when I return I'll either be insane or nearly dead (more than likely, a bit of both). The cool part is I'll see Eastern Europe for the first time, and I'll be in a Muslim-majority country for the first time. Oh, and I'll see Jeremy and probably drink too many awamori's with him in Tokyo.
Anyways, out of the next 8 weeks, I'm on the road for 6. Yipee.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Around the world
Posted by Andrew at 12:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow. Way cool. How difficult is it to communicate in countries where English is not the primary language? Also, do you have a favorite customs question?
It's not too terribly difficult. I try and learn a few simple phrases ("Where is the bathroom?" and "Can I pay my check?" and "I cannot speak your language. I am sorry to strain your ears with my butchering") which grease the wheels mightily. In Japan, even attempting to speak Japanese got us immense help from people when we were lost near Shinjuku.
In terms of customs, I've had a few good ones. My favorite is:
Canadian Customs Lady: "Welcome to Canada sir. Do you have any dangerous weapons, firearms, knives, or blunt objects to declare?"
Andrew: "No, not today, thanks!"
Canadian Customs Lady: [wide eyes from customs officer]
Another one...
Indian Customs Officer: "Do you have your stuck card?"
Andrew: [hasn't slept for 36 or so hours] "Ah, what?"
Indian Customs Officer: "Your stuck card. I need to see if you've been stuck"
Andrew: [not getting it] "I'm not stuck. I'm not sure I understand?"
Indian Customs Officer: [makes heroin-shooting motion] "Your stuck card!"
Andrew: [gets it] "Here is my International Immunization Form"
Indian Customs Officer: "You will need to register at the nearest principal municipal police station when you arrive in Delhi"
Andrew: "My visa says I'm not required to register since I'm only here less than 180 days"
Indian Customs Officer: "Your visa says no such thing"
Andrew: [In the verge of having to use the "In case your arrested, call the US Embassy" card] "No it doesn't, see right here"
Indian Customs Officer: "This form wasn't signed by a diplomat"
Andrew: [@#%$%^#$@#$] "Yes it was. See here?"
Indian Customs Officer: "Oh. Well, do you have any religious literature with you?"
Andrew: [really tired] "No"
Indian Customs Officer: "Are you planning to prosteltyze while here?"
Andrew: "No"
Indian Customs Officer: "Are you sure those are your bags?"
Andrew: "Yes"
Indian Customs Officer: "Welcome to India!"
Oh, and about 2 hours after I posted this, it was changed, again. 3 weeks in Europe (10/12-10/29), home in November, then 11/30-12/19 in Asia. On the upside, I'll get a chance to explore Brazil on the way back.
Post a Comment