Our communal blog, a hopefully-not-doomed attempt at a fun new way to encourage us all to keep in touch.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Motherhood

Since you asked, Ariel, motherhood. It's what I expected, and not at all what I expected. I knew I would be paranoid - crazy paranoid. I still tiptoe into the baby's room to make sure she's still breathing. I'm not at all positive that'll go away any time soon. I'm also not worried about it. I'm comfortable with my paranoia. I expected that it would be a really huge change. And that's the funny part: it just doesn't seem like it has been. You just do the next thing that needs to be done. Amazingly, not a lot of things need to be done. Problem-solving skills definitely come in handy (and they seem to be the first casualty of sleep deprivation). Keeping diaper and spit-up messes to a minimum are where mine are most often concentrated. Oh, and the number one change is that I'm no longer the boss of me. She's hungry, drop everything, feed the baby. She's sleeping, tiptoe and whisper. And that's all for now, because she's sleeping, so I'm going to bed!

3 comments:

Rick said...

I haven't been the boss of me for nearly 5 years. Now I got two bosses ahead of me...I got a damn demotion!

Andrew said...

Zab, you rock, Jessie and I can't wait to see you and Penny.

Get over yourself, Rick. I mean, seriously. Your mom didn't allow you out of the house without a helmet and water wings until Zab came along. What do you expect?

Ariel said...

Zab also said to me, "I don't feel like a mom. I feel like me, with a baby." I think that's a good summary of how life goes. There are all these milestones involved in growing up and being an adult, but when you actually get to them, you just feel like you, living life. I think i'm gonna be 85 years old going, "I feel like me, except with arthritis and wrinkles and i can't hear very well." Actually, i can't decide if that sounds like a good thing or not....