Our communal blog, a hopefully-not-doomed attempt at a fun new way to encourage us all to keep in touch.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Life and stuff

So, as you've read in Andrew's blog, we have a place in Springboro, Ohio now and have been settling in for the past two and a half weeks. Rooms are all organized, boxes and bags are all unpacked, and all we have to do now is hang pictures. Lindsey and Tim were here last weekend, brought food gifts, went exploring with us, and helped us organize the garage--thanks guys!
People keep asking if we're settled and getting used to the area, and how we like Ohio, and I found a good way to describe my feelings. I've been working on feeling comfortable in my house, then I'll work on getting to know the neighborhood better, then the town of Springboro, then the Dayton area, and so on. Concentric circles of comfort, moving outward like ripples. It'll take awhile. It's strange being a 13-hour drive from my closest parent, and I've never moved somewhere that I didn't have relatives and friends living there to show me around. Except college, but they had this whole "orientation" thing for freshpeople. No such thing in the real world.
The best thing, though, is that, after three MONTHS of living alone in Massachusetts while Andrew has been on the road with this new job, I have my husband back! Some of you will remember that we were married about a year ago :) To celebrate, that wonderful hubby of mine planned a romantic getaway anniversary weekend in Chicago, and we leave tomorrow! He found out that Ghiberti's Doors of Paradise (solid gold doors to the Baptistry in Florence) are being displayed at a museum there. When we were in Florence the week that he proposed, we saw the bronze replicas of the doors, and now we get to see the real thing! Maybe this only means a lot to art history geeks, but that's me, what can I say?
Hope all is well with everyone,
Jessie

2 comments:

Ariel said...

You're gonna go see DOORS? How exciting! (Just kidding, that's actually romantic.)

I sorta did the same thing in college, but without thinking about it. I waited years until i stopped hating college before i had any desire to go explore downtown Burlington. Thinking about it now, it woulda made more sense to find something i loved or missed -- like a park to stroll in, or a library to hang out in -- and do that, to give me another reason to like being there.

Best of luck in Ohio! We are mere phone calls away!

Andrew said...

Do not knock the doors.

All bad puns aside, Ghiberti was an artisan with few peers in the 15th century. When you see detail, the visual stories, and the sheer size of them, well, it's a moving experience.