In the course of some of my daily activities, I've had a few conversations with a woman. We'll call her Scarf Woman because I don't know her name. She was friendly to me when others were unsure if my bandanna-wearing quirkiness was catching or dangerous. Scarf Woman does yoga and has an inspiring life-philosophy symbolized by daffodils. She travels. She is sometimes scorned for some of her eccentricities...we get along.
In the course of one of some small talk about weekend plans, she mentioned that she was leaving for Connecticut to visit her son. As my ears perked up, I managed to ask where in CT she was going. Her wheels were clearly turning..."should I say something about being nearish Hartford, or should I just tell Bandanna Girl (that would be me) the real name...what does it matter anyway?"
Scarf Woman: S...Simsbury
Bandanna Girl: ...jaw drops, crickets chirp, stuttering sets in..."No...no Simsbury...I went to high school in Simsbury...my best friends are from Simsbury", tears well up and I proceed to bore poor Scarf Woman with tales from our high school years.
Her grandson is a freshman at SHS...he plays sports and is in honors classes. By the end of our conversation, Scarf Woman agreed to hold a moment of silence at the high school in honor of me and my love for our school.
Small world indeed!
Sunday, June 1, 2008
SHS in West Lafayette
Posted by LMadden at 9:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lins dear, if you are eccentric... oh dear, the implications! I happen to like the bandanna, there is something that is just totally Lindsey about it.
I had a very similar (except, not at all similar) experience in Frankfurt in 2006. I was returning from Bangalore and had just returned from showering in the lounge at the airport. I walked up to the gate just before they called boarding, and saw a girl that looked strangely like this girl Mary Pat Rasmussen from my high school class. I said "Mary Pat?" and she turned around, slightly shocked. You see, in high school I had hair down to my shoulders and wore glasses, black camo pants and Marilyn Manson shirts; now I had short hair, contacts, and was wearing an oxford, jeans, and dress shoes. We chatted for a moment, and they called my boarding. I got on the plane, and didn't see her again. To think, what are the odds of seeing one of 96 other kids from my graduating class in Frankfurt?
Speaking as a fellow SHS lover (unlike some people... coughJEREMYahem), that is so totally and completely awesome. You must become Scarf Woman's best friend and find out what teachers the kid has. Ooh, you should get a message back to the kid to drop your name to your favorite teachers and see if it gets him anywhere. :-D
Post a Comment