Changing the subject, briefly, since Andrew appears to have no further malicious attacks on Philadelphia sports teams for me.
This is the fun literary device i promised awhile ago. It's from my comment on Patience's blog, where she typed "sheppard" and i called her out on the spelling. Note the incredibly fabulous anecdote she then provides for never, ever spelling "separate" wrong again.
Ariel said...
... i loooove your writing, but: German SHEPHERD. Shepherd. Because they herd sheps. Pet peeve.
Patience-please said...
Thank you thank you thank you! There are a few words that I have misspelled (hmmmm, maybe that one) forever. Once I learn a "trick" like the awesome herding sheps I'm good for life. Separate. In third grade our teacher told us a story and the punch line was there was nothing in the basement, "sep a rat with an 'e' for a tail" and I never spelled it wrong again. I realized a couple of years ago that I had been spelling forty wrong for my entire adult life. And I still puzzle over family and across. But, I will never get shepherd wrong again! woo-HOOOO! (The things that make me happy!)P
Hope everyone is well. I request an update from Zab & Rick about Penny's trip to Simsbury, and i believe Felise owes me a picture of her new piece of jewelry.
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Language is fun
Posted by Ariel at 3:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I was in a meeting recently at work. One of my peers starts drawing a fishbone diagram (aka the cause and effect diagram) as we were hotly debating why a pretty stupid issue.
All of the sudden, I had this neck-snapping flashback to Junior year of high school, where I was on the verge of being kept back a year for my horrific grades. I had to pass English. And junior english? All of those goddamned syntax diagrams.
Goddamn I hate syntax diagrams.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
I recently misspelled my own name on an application for one of those grocery store frequent-buyer cards. I had to take the application back from the woman and add the second "s". Embarassing. 27 years I've had this name, 22 years I've been writing it, and now I forget how it's spelled. It's like I moved to Ohio and my brain started leaking out my ear.
It's open enrollment for health care at work and they keep sending the same frickin' email over and over again. Evidently no one actually reads it because if my spouse ever "looses" coverage, I can opt for insurance.
Post a Comment