Our communal blog, a hopefully-not-doomed attempt at a fun new way to encourage us all to keep in touch.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Food!

Ari inspired me. I just dug through a few years of crappy digital pictures to come up with a few selected food gems. I have a habit of photographing what I eat (in my senile years, I'll probably start photographing the toilet, too, maybe as some sort of contemporary art project?), so I've got a good list of the fat kid delights I have enjoyed in my life.

Poutine Inferno, Microbrasserie Diablo, Mont-Tremblant, QC

Poutine. Take potatos. Fry for 10 minutes in 300F oil. Cool. Refry for 3 minutes at 375F. Remove. Put cheedar cheese curds on top. Put gravy (barbecue gravy, a mix of beef, pork, and veal) and a healthy dose of black pepper on top. Serve. Die of a heart attack.

Andrew's Grill-Smoked Pork Loin, with Chuck's glaze on whole wheat, with avocado, mayo, salt, pepper and a massive half sour pickle

Pork loin sammys. Pork, avocado, lettuce, mayo, salt, pepper, and a massive pickle. It's not a sandwich without a massive half sour pickle (this one is from Rubin's Delicatessen in Brookline, MA)

Pulled pork, in the pre-pulled form, after 12 hours on the smoker

Pulled pork in the pre-pulled, post smoked, form.

Gyoza-stuffed, panko-covered Japanese Croquette

The Japanese take on the croquette. Filled with gyoza dumpling filling (cabbage, pork, spices, fat), and rolled in panko crumbs, this was just what the Fat American needed after a food crisis the night prior at dinner. So, so good, so fattening.

Raw chicken wasabi

Raw chicken with mountain vegetables, including some odd tuber that I cannot remember the name of, with a healthy dose of Japanese wasabi. This is a real stretch, as it violates the basic rules of sanitation (Rule # 5: All Chicken Is Dirty), but it was so delicious.

Real men cook fish

How a real cook cooks fish. On a spit, next to a hot fire. The salmon on the right was like butter. We didn't order the stuff on the left.

Guess who?

Not going to tell you what this is. Can you guess what meat product this is? Jeremy and Jessie are not allowed to play :)

23 comments:

Ariel said...

I think i gained 15 pounds reading your post. And then puked it all up.

On the last one: if it's dog, horse, or whale, i'm [still thinking of something bad to do to you]. Beyond that... 20 questions! Did it come from an animal with hoofs?

Felise said...

It looks like liver from cow or something, or horse kidney. Hard to tell b/c it's chopped up! I bet if it was intact I would be able to tell better. Or I could be completely wrong - all I know is I'll never eat it! But hopefully the anatomy classes will finally pay off! ;)

Zab said...

Somehow, I just knew you would have an interesting reply to Ari's food post, Andrew. I can't believe you ate raw chicken. The thought . . . ew. Anyway, I agree with Ariel - we need some clues. Is it flesh, or, like Felise thinks, organ?

Andrew said...

Clues... it is not organ, it is muscle tissue from a particular animal. This flesh is renowned for the deep, complex flavor and unique fat that has had hundreds of historical uses.

The fat from this animal is also made into a form of bacon.

Andrew said...

Oh - one other thing. Those chunks are about two and half male fists big. IIRC each chunk was about 1.75-2#

Oleg said...

walrus?? (only to be exotic...and because of the fat clue)

Andrew said...

Not a horse, not cattle, not walrus. But it is exotic... and not found in your local (or any) market in the US.

Ariel said...

That description of size was important. I was not getting that from the photo.

Was its primary ambulatory method walking, swimming, flying, or "other"?

Andrew said...

They swim. However, this animal does not move via the standard BCF or MPF locomotion...

Ariel said...

Giant squid? (If not... confirm presence of tentacles?)

Ariel said...

PS For those who don't have time to google everything Andrew McSmartyPants says, i already did:

<<
"median and paired fin"(MPF) propulsion and "body and caudal fin"(BCF) locomotion
>>

Oleg said...

Polar bear??

Andrew said...

Good guess on bear Oleg, but no. Bear meat is dark, much darker than our friend above, and it has little intramuscular fat (like our specimen above).

No tentacles, but some members of this family can have very, very small amounts of hair. And no, it's not squid, no red meat on squid.

And, FWIW, call me McSmartyPants all you want, but BCF/MPF are not the only methods of swimming...

Oleg said...

Then – a mermaid?? Sorry, Ariel…

Ariel said...

"Her hair was green as seaweed..."

Guess of generalized family: manatees/dugongs/sea lions/sea otters?

Or, a giant, wooly-mammoth-sized duck.

Zab said...

turtle?

Andrew said...

"The rest of her was just my taste..."

Not a turtle, not a manatee (or anything else you guessed Ariel... shotgunning is not allowed).

OK. Two final clues and I'll tell you guys tonight during the World Series.

Clue # 1 - these animals are harvested from the sea in the US, but only in Washington State and Alaska.

Clue # 2 - The largest harvesting port for these animals used to be New Bedford, MA.

Oleg said...

I'm afraid it's a some kind of the whales then; Ariel's gonna kick you in the ... (not sure, she's very creative)

Ariel said...

Everyone is now wondering in what creative areas i have kicked Oleg....

Yeah, if it's a whale you're in big trouble, partly because DON'T EAT WHALE! and mostly because i already said that in the first comment. :-p

If it's not whale, i'm really wondering what type of animal we have all managed to overlook.

Ariel said...

Oh PS The BoSox have already won a World Series, aren't you people over it by now? I mean, YAWN.
;-D

Andrew said...

I didn't eat it, first off.

Second off, shotgunning is illegal Ariel :)

Thirdly, it sure is whale. A whole stand selling big whale chunks, and whale bacon. It looks so delicious, yet so morally wrong.

How about them Phillies, Ari? :)

Andrew said...

Oh yeah... gotta love them Flyers, can't play hockey worth a shit so they smash players heads into the boards. Legacy of the goon...

Ariel said...

You'll notice that i didn't actually diss the BoSox, as such. You non-Philadelphia fans don't get it, yo. The only way to get your complete emotional range's worth out of a sport is for the team to do really, really well up to a certain point, and then lose spectacularly in the most heartbreaking way possible. It's an art.

My original mention of whale was before the official start of the questions/hinting period, therefore your arbitrary rules do not apply. You suck. Except, kudos for not eating the whale. None such for Jeremy.