I remember my mother admonishing me: "Andrew, quit it with the toilet talk, or I'll get a bar of soap!" So, naturally, when I was using a toilet at O'Hare this morning, I thought, wow, why did we call it Toilet Talk? Why not "bad language"? Because, sadly, now talking about toilets is apparently social taboo. How can you say that, Andrew, you may be thinking, but, after an experience this morning, it's clear that we need a National Dialog on Toilets.
Bathrooms, and their design, absolutely fascinate me. No where is our collective neuroses of sanitation, privacy, Puritansim and sexism more evident than in your modern airport bathroom. Why the airport? Because airports are the focal point of all such transient activities -- many cultures, many sexes (I have actually seen a man in woman's dress pondering which toilet to enter, at DFW of all places), and also a prime location for bureaucrats to spend large amounts of taxpayer dollars on white elephant portals to nowhere (like Dayton, OH!). So, naturally, if there is a Hot Trend in Toilets, you'll learn about it on your average multi-segment flight.
So there I am, trying to complete my normal morning routine 642 miles and 2 hours in 12A away from my comfortable, clean, and "Andrew Certified" commode, in the latest bathroom renovation trend to spread like wildfire through airports: the auto-rotating sani-seat, with built in, self disposing seat condom, and anti-microbial plastic doors to help prevent the spread of disease. As a 6'2", 250 pound American male, a Gentleman of Luxurious Proportions, if you will, such fads usually involve some sort of posterior pain and dogfighting-esque manuvering to align my Waste Removal Ports with the Waste Intake Ports that O'Hare has so nicely provided me.
While using this toilet, which I swear had a smaller internal diameter than a 5 gallon bucket (thanks to the massive rotating-condom-dispensing toilet seat), the seat starts to shimmy. You see, in all of their brilliant wonder, the designers of said toilet device decided that after a fixed interval of time, the toilet seat would re-condom itself to ensure that none of the airborne pathogens being emitted from the clearly foriegn man in stall # 3, after eating what had to have been rotting fish flesh for dinner the night prior, would deposit themselves (and thereby sully the otherwise virginal plastic) on the seat. Now, I'm all for rotating around my anal axis, but, I don't like doing it when I've had little sleep and I'm trying to drop core in Chicago. Not to mention, when the plastic slides out, the tacky tape is still fresh and my posterior skin happens to be quite sensitive, especially to freshly exposed, organic compounded loaded super sterile plastic tape. Thankfully, I was able to complete my business before rotation was complete, but now I had a new problem -- this ingenious contraption made deployment of the Hazmat Cleaning Crew very challenging, due to a tight quarters issue. Of course, I'm extremely pleased at this point, after getting what amounts to a reverse lap dance from the toilet followed by some light bondage, and now I'm exploring the Kama Sutra, and finding the Inverse Hibiscus Cleansing position so I can clean up without breaking tender bits.
After all of these gymnastics were complete (the Russian in Stall # 2 gave me an 8 for technical presentation, but shit all over my artistic scores), I had the enviable task of cleaning my hands. The soap was an automatic dispenser, the water manual, and the paper manual. Now, to me, it should go in order of cleanliness: soap manual (because your hands are already dirty), water either way (but should be automatic), and paper clearly automatic (because my hands are clean, and I'm going to touch where everyone else has touched?) But, on some level, this logic escaped the designer and they went with The Really Cool Device That Bukkake's Your Hand With Half Emulsified Foam (I did not think, at the time, to check to see if the device was indeed manufactured by a large Japanese concern) and the I Think The 1950's Are Calling paper towel dispenser.
I think we all need to talk about our toilet experiences. If we don't, we will be relegated to these perverse studies in Industrial Design that probably are some big joke on idiot humans dumb enough to drop trou in public.
Monday, May 5, 2008
Toilet Talk
Posted by Andrew at 1:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I was trying to think whether to mention the completely automated sink, or the exploding toilet, or what. And then i remembered that i actually lived my nightmare. I have a recurring bad dream about public bathrooms where the stall doors are all very short. And i finally experienced it at a fairground -- not only could i stand up and converse with my neighbor, but the door to the outside was straight ahead of my stall and random non-bathrooming passers by could see in as well. Oddly, i just realized, i'm not sure i've had the dream again since encountering the reality.
Good post. I was getting sick of the picture of floating duck bits. This is much nicer.
Making eye contact while they are using the commode is akin to making eye contact with monkeys at the zoo: provocation to have feces thrown at you.
Seriously, though, who the hell thinks of these things? Do people really become so deluded in their thinking that they completely forget to say "Hey, I bet this is a bad idea"?
I know, because with many things that are badly made, you can say "whoever designed this has never actually tried to DO it." Whereas... you see my point.
Ha! Look at this, on CNN (via a column in O Magazine):
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/05/06/o.tinkler/index.html
THAT'S IT. FUCK THE ELECTION. WE'RE ALL SITTING DOWN AND TALKING TOILET.
Proclamation made. Jeremy, can you round up the Japanese? Ari, you work the dog circuit. Rick, you broadcast on CN8. Zab, get the bankers here. I'll work on the business travellers, Jessie will get the social workers, with Lins handling the finance nerds and Tim will work the college campuses.
It's a call to arms, people!
The Tinkler! At least it annoys others beside myself. Of course, we have one at work. I fell victim a couple times before I realized that (by the transitive properties of toilet seats) I didn't want to be touching asses with my (unsanitary) co-workers. Some employee put up signs in all the stalls, as if it were the occasional customer who was doing it. It's definitely not. It happens too often. In fact, I think I know who it is.
Has anyone else noticed that the paper toilet seat covers almost never fit the shape of the toilet seat? It entirely defeats the purpose. And in combination with an automatically flushing toilet, forget it! You set the cover down, turn around to get down to business, and before you can sit, it flushes, taking the cover. Now you're catching a draft, with nothing covering the seat!
Ari, remember that rest stop on the way to Lindsey & Tim's wedding with the high tech sinks? The one that did the whole deal before we finished reading step 1.
I'd love to experience this toilet you've described Andrew. I've never even heard of anything like it!
It's an experience all right...
I was treated to a reprise this morning, thanks to a 2.5 hour delay (on the plane, on the ground) last night that caused me to miss my connection. The United terminal had these odd shaped urinals that just sprayed whatever went in, everywhere. No matter what angle you use, save for the 45 degree long distance arc, there was splashback. Disgusting.
Is this Tinkler phenomenon common in the womens room? Seriously, how is this ANY different from a guy pissing with the seat down? Shudder.
At my old company we had a phantom self-pleasurer who was kind enough to clean up after himself sometimes.
Ugh. Jeremy wins.
I loved those all-in-one sinks. You had to go through the whole cycle 3 times before you could get in sync with the sink enough to get your hands washed.
I dunno. Jessie has told me about "Phantom Gore Deposits" and "Phantom Fecal Deposits", meaning that this hovering behavior isn't just limited to urination. I can tell you, I've never seen feces or blood on the toilet seat -- although my father had a mentally retarded homosexual man who washed dishes at his restaurant, who'd leave semen and feces stained condoms on the floor, but Dad assured me that was just mental retardation, not homosexual behavior.
Here's a good toilet-related news story...
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20080513/JetBlue.Lawsuit/
Yet another one -- this one intersecting AMAZING FOOD and AMAZING TOILETS in Japan. Ariel, you have to go.
http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?source=hptextfeature&story_id=11394712
Post a Comment